Friday, April 12, 2024

Ocean heat content in 2023

I try not to let myself get dragged into writing quick reaction pieces on breaking news or stuff other people write. It’s a bad habit of the internet age. But what can I say, sometimes I just can’t help it. Sometimes something is just too juicy to resist. Sometimes something is just too pertinent an example of what I’ve been trying to link to on Media Dragon. 🐉Sometimes something causes me to eye-roll so hard I briefly pass out and come to with a burning desire to tweet something – except I lost access to old Twitter last year and my Xitter account is not the same …

Corrupt? No. Acceptable behaviour for an MP? Also no


The Real Battle for Data Privacy Begins When You Die Bloomberg


Elon Musk’s X pushed a fake headline about Iran attacking Israel. X’s AI chatbot Grok made it up.Mashable


‘Brilliant’ professor and father-of-two died aged just 43 after doctors botched treatment for a rare condition on which he was a national expert, his GP widow tells inquest Daily Mail


Freedom of speech in France? Think again… Gilbert Doctorow (Anthony L). So now, shades of the Cultural Revolution or the Stasi, citizens can denounce each other to the authorities. 

 

Thomas Piketty: “The Labour Party is too conservative” New Statesman 


UK: Labour cuts ties with major Muslim organisation Middle East Eye


Cropped out, banned, airbrushed: the school photos that show the ugly face of Britain today Guardian 


Ocean heat content in 2023 Nature. “With the ocean’s large thermal inertia, deep ocean warming is expected to continue for at least hundreds of years. Thus, the consequences of ocean warming are expected to become even more severe.”


Show me the money! Associations between tree canopy and hospital costs in cities for cardiovascular disease events in a longitudinal cohort study of 110,134 participantsEnvironmental International