Sunday, March 31, 2024

Novelty of Driving Badly

“How much do you know about Shakespeare?” I once asked a friend who has committed much of her life to studying the Bard. She replied, ”Not as much as he knows about me”. Remember this the next time someone tells you literature is useless.” (Arnold Weinstein, in The New York Times)


It seems to me that novels are very much about this question of how shall we live, not answering it but asking it, and what novelists do is look at people who live different sorts of lives, and often people who live rather badly are a good way of asking the question.



So we know Bard when he is driving like no one else is on the road

DanKE eighty eight Wagon


Only when I was young did I believe that it was important to remember what happened in every novel I read. Now I know the truth: what matters is what you experience while reading, the states of feeling that the story evokes, the questions that rise to your mind, rather than the fictional events described.



Give a girl an education, and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without farther expense to anybody.