Monday, January 22, 2018

 Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe


A Russian writer--unfortunately not named in the article--took the author of a negative review of one his books to court...and won. He didn't get as much as he wanted, but still...
The writer stated that after reading the book review, he experienced chest pains, headache, and elevated blood pressure. He demanded to be compensated in the amount of US$150,000.
Does this mean that I could sue every publisher that refuses to publish my work?
[Via Maud Newton]

Stig Fredrickson, a journalist for TT (the Swedish News Agency) on "How [He] Helped Alexandr Solzhenitsyn Smuggle His Nobel Lecture from the USSR":
During our meeting at Natalya's apartment Solzhenitsyn and I had arranged to try to meet once again, in the underground passage at the Belorussian railway station. In the enlarged version of his literary memoir "The Oak and the Calf", which was published in Moscow in 1996, Solzhenitsyn describes the meeting: 

"I had in my pocket a film containing the text of the Nobel speech. We had failed to find any other way of sending it out, and once again, its destination was Sweden. I was standing in an inconspicuous spot; he and his wife Ingrid came strolling along arm in arm: I followed, keeping a gap between us, and Alya came behind me, after first watching out for a while from a different spot to make sure that no one was tailing us. Everything turned out fine, so we caught up with them and the four of us set off at a leisurely pace down the Leningrad Prospect. As we talked, I asked Stig if he would take the film, and he agreed. I handed it over in a dark courtyard. Folk wisdom has it that seeing a pregnant woman means your plans will come to fruition. Well, we had two of them, both our wives were pregnant."
Continue reading "SOLZHENITSYN'S SECRET COURIER" »