Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations...
-George Bernard Shaw
I like to see that they're speaking like an actual human being -- a lot of bloggers are afraid to be authentic because they don't want to get blacklisted by the places they want to cover. Fearlessness is one of my favorite qualities in a writer. Gabbie Take Note: How to make travel editors like your blog
It's easy to get the impression that blogging is lonely work. 'A Tunisian Girl' talks about blogging under repressive regimes
First there's the Czech President, Vaclas, Klaus, pocketing a pen in Chili not Mexico City Make no mistake: Smuggler, Forger, Writer, Spy
Czech President Vaclav Klaus may be in the middle of a government crisis, but he's bringing the laughs thanks to a video that's become a YouTube hit.
Watch as he grabs a pen and nonchalantly puts it in his pocket.
•All I have to say, it is not a pen but just a stylus Spiriting away a pen [ Generations, Mobile, Seniors - Generations and their gadgets ; Search User Interfaces by Marti A. Hearst [the author, with permission of Cambridge University Press, has placed the full text online free of charge. See the terms of service] This book focuses on the human users of search engines and the tool they use to interact with them: the search user interface; And with thousands of blogs and so many lawyers online, legal ethics experts say that collisions between the freewheeling ways of the Internet and the tight boundaries of legal discourse are inevitable — whether they result in damaged careers or simply raise eyebrows A Legal Battle: Online Attitude vs. Rules of the Bar ]
• · Use a catchy title. Make the title unique, consider using questions and lists 15 Blogging Best Practices ; The web, as we know, is a great place to market your business — but only if people can find you. Success in online marketing is contingent upon people being able to locate your web presence.
• · · For Andrew Sullivan, M.P.A. ’86, Ph.D. ’90, the editor of a blog called TheDish.com, the weekend is a time for rest, and having teed up on Friday afternoon a half-dozen evergreen posts for Saturday, he had turned off his communication devices and was sleeping in. World's Best Blogger? ;Are you voracious for video, but not fascinated by photos? Bonkers for blogs, but not titillated by Tweets? Fanatical about Facebook, but not emotional about email? You're not alone! From One Comes Many Just as in offline politics, the well-off and well-educated are especially likely to participate in online activities that mirror offline forms of engagement. But there are hints that social media may alter this pattern The Internet and Civic Engagement - PDF
• · · · "Librarians, information specialists, knowledge managers or whatever title a librarian might have -- their skills are in high demand. And, though you might not know it, they are everywhere...At a time where anyone can Google just about anything, librarians don't just find information, they find the correct information -- and fast. The American Library Association reports reference librarians in the nation's public and academic libraries answered nearly 5.7 million questions each week in 2010." [via the awesome librarian Kit Harahan] Librarians: Masters of the info universe ; Users increasingly rely on individual pages listed by search engines instead of finding better ways to tackle problems. Although some analysts questioned the finding of search dominance, it's a user behavior that gets stronger every year. Incompetent Research Skills Curb Users' Problem Solving
• · · · · Famous poet's writings as a Federal employee shed new light on his life and work: The National Archives today announced the identification of nearly 3,000 Walt Whitman documents written during his service as a Federal government employee. This trove of information--conclusively identified as Whitman's papers for the first time by University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) scholar Kenneth Price--sheds light on the legendary poet's post-war thinking, as well as Whitman's published reflections on the state of the nation that soon followed. Price discusses the significance of this discovery in the National Archives Inside the Vaults video short Walt Whitman ; Vaults video short
• · · · · · The Net, smartphones, and other technologies have added to the way people can engage with so much to local communities and wider communities of interest How Libraries Add Value to Communities (Video & Slides) ; REGARDLESS OF FRONTIERS: The International Right to Freedom of Expression in the Digital Age