In uncertainty I am certain that underneath their topmost layers of frailty men want to be good and want to be loved. Indeed most of their vices are attempted short cuts to love
-John Steinbeck, East of Eden
Proust Questionnaire From time to time I get spotted in public, occasionally with unpredictable results. Too much information
Topics for the post mortem on the poll and elsewhere Cheaters Win
They're the hardest words in the world to say: I Love You. Especially to Bankers and Pollies …
There could be no honor in a sure success, but much might be wrested from a sure defeat.
-T.E. Lawrence, Revolt in the Desert
The penalty of success is to be bored by people who used to snub you.
-Nancy Astor (quoted in Reno Evening Gazette, May 4, 1964)
Clever schemes to make bankers earn their bonuses look good on paper, but economics proves they won't work."
IF YOU feel a sense of injustice over bonuses paid to the bankers who all but collapsed the global economy in 2008, look away now. Wall Street is about to pay out around $20 billion in bonuses, barely changed from what it paid in the boom years. Why can't regulators insist that firms pay bonuses based on real long-term profits, rather than rewarding them for reckless short-term gambling?
• Bankers are grinners[ Pathological sickness grips heart of Labor's NSW Right; Curing the NSW disease]
• · We need the spirit of Cavafy today John Azarias; Bob Carr; Gabbie has caught up with the blasts from the past in the Us links to princeston; For the early December training session, four racers arrived. There was Aidan Harding, 30, a mountain biker from Princes Risborough, England. Despite his lack of experience on snow, Harding was considered a serious racing prospect. There was George Azarias, a young Morgan Stanley banker from New York. A practiced hiker, Azarias had little cycling experience.Eleni ; george; George
• · · Labor lost in its first 10 years when Bob Carr neglected Sydney's transport links in favour of announcing national parks. It was Carr asleep at the wheel ; ON Tuesday night Paul Keating put in a memorable performance on ABC1's 7.30. In the course of a swingeing attack on NSW Labor, including Opposition Leader John Robertson and the Sussex Street machine men, he dismissed their chief spin-merchant, Bruce Hawker, for his "sicko populism". Keating tells it like it is for NSW Labor ;CHRISTOPHER Pearson's rather shrill commentary on both Bob Carr and me (Focus, April 2-3) really does deserve a reply. Hawker
• · · · Glen was with me on my first-ever visit to Colombia where I presented to Expomarketing, and announced the launch of Saatchi & Saatchi Colombia. Cool Colombia; Nothing is Impossible
• · · · · NSW Labor had spent almost all it's social capital, and the only thing left was change. Life of the Party;
In the next Queensland election independents may be at risk, as they were in New South Wales The lessons of Port Macquarie; Labor smeared NSW Greens candidate Fiona Byrne for instituting a policy that they had also supported. Smear campaign against Greens in Marrickville
• · · · · · ASIC LAUNCHES NEW MONEYSMART WEBSITE - COVERS ADVICE, TAX AND MORE ASIC's new Getting advice booklet ; It's time for negative gearing of investment housing as a tax deduction to go. A tax system that penalizes working & saving, and rewards borrowing & speculating