Saturday, February 05, 2005



Mrs Robertson had a son Jack who might have come from the Spis region of Slovakia or Poland (smile) To me Webdiary is a wonder. I knew it from day one and know it more than ever today. Webdiary and Margo rock. Then again, you know this! I love Crikey as well. It has served all Australians well. What can I say? You know what I am thinking. I got the Crikey mail that they were selling. Not selling out, but selling. I had a warm feeling but a tinge of sadness. As you know, I like business. Its a promising sign Jack... Making money out of being fearless and independent is pretty bloody cool. Maybe it shows that in the end some money will follow integrity. People actually like being told the truth. Some will tell you they don't but I know in my heart they do. Crikey! Shorely shome mishtake, Shteve?

The Blog, The Press, The Media: Don't look for Pants to drop anytime soon
O'Harrow was very animated in replying to the question:

What can one journalist do? Here are some excerpts from my choppy notes:
Independence: What did Rachel Carson do? Set your own journalistic agenda. … We're advocates for openness of government and accountability … That's what we should be advocates for. … Go off on your own and within those journalistic constraints tell the story. … Where is the lack of accountability? Show that and lay it out for the reader.
Persistence: Take the heat when people say, 'Who gave you the right to write about this?' Say, Well the Constitution gave me the right. … Do the digging and take the pain. Be righteous form a journalistic perspective.
Focus: You can only do one thing at a time. … Just do that and then do the next thing.
Dream: You have one life, one career, you might as well shoot for the stars." Maintain the traditional values of journalism but give in to the voice that says, I want to be romantic here.


Quality journalism requires passion and persistence. These are characteristics that can't be downsized.
Be dogged, follow truth, think big [Credits: Tim Porter ; Dan Gillmore: British Blogging 'Empire' Forming?]
• · Gothamist does not approve of anonymous blogging: We believe all bloggers should stand behind their posts with their real names. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be blogging. Goth Moonlighting; [The most important week in TV this year: I know people will argue it's only a week or a night, but as in so many things in life momentum, when it is matched with skill, cleverness and some tenacity, changes the dynamics in business, sport and politics. So too in TV, especially commercial television in Australia. Desperately Lost Suits]
• · · Jay Rosen David Akin of CTV in Canada: It's Not the Blog. It's the Net. ; David Akin Working notes by a Canadian politics reporter
• · · · With a website for almost every cause, the internet could well be the world's largest rally - except protesters don't have to march or hoist a placard. Cyber warriors ; No worse than a bad cold Chalk unOutfoxed
• · · · · To legions of internet geeks she's the "International Librarian of Mystery". Natalie is smart, sexy and cool. A librarian with a wild streak and toast of the net. Natalie Bizgirl, who is is really James Guthrie Seeing isn't believing ; Biz girl
• · · · · · A first-person account is, after all, a confession; and the one who has something to confess has something to conceal. And the one who has the word I at his or her disposal has the quickest device for concealing himself. Stanley Cavell, Disowning Knowledge: In Six Plays of Shakespeare: Terry Teacher is one of the reasons I enjoy blogging as to read and then to share with others one of his priceless thoughts is like sharing my blood at the Red Cross. He has been a life saver to many artistic productions, careers and literatury ventures. If you’re expecting me to segue deftly into an announcement to the effect that I won’t be posting as regularly in the future as I have in the past, I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint you. I love “About Last Night,” and I intend to keep on writing it pretty much the way I have all along Terry points us in the right direction, then gives us a push; Ranking high on a Google search is advantageous for businesses, but how much is it really worth? Depends on who's tailoring the results. Commentary by Adam L. Penenberg Googling the Bottom Line ;