Thursday, August 07, 2003

Unexpected becomes expected First impressions count in publishing

Someone needs to have a word with Amis: Tibor Fischer
Some years ago, I fired my agent, Andrew Wylie, alias The Jackal. I want to stress this wasn't an amicable parting of the ways or a hankering on my part for fresh representation. I fired him because his agency wasn't doing enough for me.
The way British publishing works is that you go from not being published no matter how good you are, to being published no matter how bad you are.
Halfway through, Louis reached into his pocket, pulled out a railway ticket, scrawled on it and handed it to me. It was a signed authorisation to shoot him if he ever became an old bullshitter. I think I'll be sending Louis an authorisation to shoot me if I ever produce anything like Yellow Dog.

· It's like your favourite boss being caught in a cricket ground or G007, masturbating [Telegraph (UK)offline]