Saturday, March 08, 2003

All deeply original poetry, discoveries and creations tend to provoke a measure of doubt in their originators. Ask any poet if absolute certainty is a useful attitude. I am reminded of a favorite Einstein quote: 'A thought that sometimes makes me hazy: am I - or the others- crazy'?

Poetry A Hill in the Moria Land

Back in black communists days of 1978 Pope told all Slavs not to be afraid, and for the young to trace the cold stream. Quarter of century later Pope's words become again an instant bestseller in Poland:

What are you saying to me, mountain stream?
Where, in which place, do we meet?
Do you meet me who is also passing -
just like you. ...
If you want to find the source,
you have to go up, against the current,
tear through, seek, don't give up,
you know it must be somewhere here.
Where are you, source? Where are you, source?!
if you want to find the source, you have to go up, against the current.
And so the generations pass - naked they come into the world and naked they return to the Earth.
And yet I do not altogether die,
what is indestructible in me remains!

· Go Against The Stream [TheGlobe&Mail]