Friday, November 29, 2002

Life Stuff Paul McCartney Gets Back to the Beatles

Paul McCartney, interviewed on NPR, talking about loss and singing the song he wrote after John's death in public for the first time. Here Today a song he wrote for John Lennon after his murder in 1980 the same year my two friends drowned in Morava River. Like 22 years ago I survived this week a fall, wearing helmet saved my life if not my shattered hands. I hope an ugly sob, like T Yattes, is reading this too. But, thanks to the rest of the crew for get well soon card.

Because we're two guys, you don't always say intimate things. In fact, you hardly ever do. You work together... I had this idea it would be nice to say stuff that I really wanted to say to him but somehow put it in a song, so I did and - it was if you were here today, how would it be?...
Asked if it's difficult to sing these songs on tour, McCartney replies: It's sometimes a little bit hard emotionally. You catch yourself and you hear what the lyric means and you suddenly identify with it and choke a bit. I know it's very emotional for the audience, but I like that.
I'm no longer ashamed of being emotional. When I was 18, that was like the biggest crime a guy could commit. 'You cried?' Well, now it's like, 'Yeah and why not?' It's pretty sad stuff... losing a friend like John or losing (McCartney's first wife) Linda after all those years or George. So I'm comfortable (showing my emotions).
· Life and Death [NPR]

Dilbert Reward the Weasel

Scott Adams promised 600,000 fans via e-mail that if his new DILBERT AND THE WAY OF THE WEASEL makes it to the top five of the NYT bestseller list, he'll reward Dilbert with romantic success. That's right: I'm willing to sacrifice my artistic integrity, and sell Dilbert's body, to get the job done. It's called 'marketing,' and no one said it would be pretty.

Literature Kinsley

The thing that interests me most about this contretemps is how so many people have been so quick to rush in and proclaim, often with much passion and glowing with righteousness, the villainy of Kinsley without bothering to actually think about the situation on which they are passing judgment. It's not so much that many of these gnash-toothed wailers fail to consider any position other than their own before making decisive statements, it's more that they don't even stop to think about what their own position actually is. They lambast Kinsley's presumed laziness for not reading every book under consideration apparently without realizing they've done the same thing themselves, and often.
· 402 books [Parenthetical]

Online resources of the year 2002

Here you will find links to government, industry, and academic resources on selected topics spanning the breadth of web coverage. New subjects are posted weekly, and new resources are added to existing topics.
· Shelf for year 2002 [http://resourceshelf.freepint.com/]
· Virtual Chase for 2002 [http://www.virtualchase.com/]
· Web Watch for 2002 [http://www.bna.com/webwatch/]