Friday, December 15, 2023

Marian Keyes - ‘My Favourite Mistake’

“But being a survivor is hard bloody work, harder than it looks, and I think I might be running low on survivor juice. Given the choice, I’d far rather a pampered life of indulgence where nothing bad ever happens.” 
 ~ Marian Keyes



The old Chinese proverb springs to mind – No pain, no gain.


But that’s the point, Amy. It’s easy to love someone when they’re on their best behaviour – you can do that in your sleep. The real test is when they’re – to use Neeve’s expression – a pain in the hole. That’s what love actually means.


 “My truth is that what doesn’t kill you makes you weaker rather than stronger, although it makes you wiser.


Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together


Why do we have such a finite capacity for pleasure but an infinite one for pain?


 “What is so wrong with us that we rush into situations to which we are manifestly unsuited, which will hurt us and others? Why are we given emotions which we cannot control and which move in exact contradiction to what we really want? We are walking conflicts, internal battles on legs and if human beings were cars, we would return them for being faulty.



 “No more humiliation for me, thanks very much. No more swallowing my anger. Honestly, I couldn’t manage another mouthful. But it was delicious. Did you make it yourself?” Jozef?


They say the path of true love never runs smooth. Well, Luke and my true love’s path didn’t run at all, it limped along in new boots that were chafing its heels. Blistered and cut, red and raw, every hopping, lopsided step, a little slice of agony.


‘My Favourite Mistake’


Human touch is as important as water and food and air and laughter and new shoes.


I haven’t had Botox because my face is a bit lopsided and I depend on keeping everything animated so that people don’t notice.


Relationship gurus always said that an attraction based on friendship and mutual respect was far more likely to stay the course – and the bastards were right.


You will go on and meet someone else and I’ll just be a chapter in your tale, but for me, you were, you are and you always will be, the whole story.

Irish author Marian Keyes offers ten life lessons she has learned as she celebrates 60th birthday 


I had spent my whole life feeling homesick. The only difference between the two of us was that I didn’t know what or where home was.

🎂 

 She explained that she is "in shock" at how it sounds to say she is now 60, and took to social media while waiting to attend her birthday bash.  

 "Hello! Today is my 60th birthday and I SWEAR to god, im in shock. It sounds SO OLD," she wrote. 

 "Nevertheless, it's better than the alternative amirite? 

Everyone* is asking me for bonmots of wisdom now that I am officially ancient. 

 "So here goes(*No-one has, but my party was meant to start at 5pm over at Old Vummans and a panicky call has told me not to come till 5.30 so I'm killing time)"

 "1) Life is short. MUCH shorter than I realised. It seems 5 minutes since I was 21. Do the thing now 


 2) When I eff up (frequently), apologising has great power. I find it humiliating but then I'm always so relieved 


 3) If I don't want to do something (do a bungee jump, eat a snail) i just don't do it. I LOVE my comfort zone. Because -yeh!- it's comfortable 


 4) If you like a strangers' nails or bag or look, tell them! 


 5) use sunblock 


 6) if you are trapped in an addiction, you most certainly CAN get free 


 7) Most people have only 2 or 3 real friends, if they're lucky 


 8) Every day, if you write 3 things you're grateful for, it'll change you for the better 


 9) You won't like everyone... 


 10) ...and not everyone will like you. It's not your fault and you can survive it There we are! I hope you're all keeping well" 


One of her key lessons was regarding recovering from addiction, with Marian being decidedly open about her sobriety in the past. 


 Marian is 29 years sober, which she celebrated in January of this year.


Friends and fans of the author, who has penned iconic titles, such as Rache'ls Holidayand Watermelon , soon took to the comments section to wish her a great 60th. 

"Happy birthday dear Marian! Enjoy your celebration, you’re a gift to us all," said Louise McSharry.

Donna Ashworth said: Happy birthday Marian! You are my favourite author and have helped me on so many ways. Enjoy your birthday, you are loved!"

Fearne Cotton added that the author's advice was "perfect."

Her latest novel is Again, Rachel the much-awaited sequel to her 1997's hit Rachel's Holiday.

—-

——

—-

When writer Marian Keyes turned 60 earlier this month, she celebrated with a family party, Keanu Reeves-themed cupcakes and a birthday cake in the shape of Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel. Her beloved novels including Watermelon, Rachel’s Holiday, This Charming Man, Anybody Out There and Grown Ups, have sold more than 35 million copies worldwide. Known for her “sudden wild enthusiasms”, when not writing she has thrown herself into hobbies such as oil painting, knitting and furniture upcycling. Over the years she has campaigned on issues such as reproductive rights and has spoken openly about overcoming alcohol addiction – in January she will mark 30 years of sobriety. As presenter, with Tara Flynn, of BBC Radio 4′s Now You’re Asking, she dispenses warm, wise and uplifting advice to listeners who write in with a wide variety of problems. Keyes, who lives in Dublin with her husband, didn’t reach her latest roundy birthday without picking up a bit of wisdom along the way. On the latest episode of The Women’s Podcast, she told Róisín Ingle about lessons she has learned over six decades. Here are six of the best:

Marian Keyes at 60: what the beloved, best-selling author has learned about life

Listen | 53:25

1 News flash: Life is short

It’s true what they say. Life is shockingly short. I never believed people who said that. I always felt life was endless. I wanted the days to be 17 hours long, rather than 24 because there just seemed to be so much to endure. At 5pm I’d be wanting to go to bed but it wasn’t allowed, because there were still several hours to run. But now at 60 I’m looking back and I’m thinking: God, that was fast.

2 Happy moments in life are not a preview. Savour them

As human beings we have got into the habit of thinking that these little bursts of joy we experience are like movie trailers or previews of how we will feel when everything in our lives is fixed. When we have, in my case, finished the book I’m writing or dealt with health problems or when the people I’m worried about are okay. I think once all of those things are done, and I am fixed, then I’m going to feel those lovely feelings all the time. But these happy feelings are not previews of some future happiness, this is the happiness. This is as good as it gets. Don’t dismiss these moments. Revel in the happiness when it happens.

3 Be yourself. Paint in oil

We should all be who we are. This is very hard for human beings because we’re tribal and we want to fit in. For so much of my life, I pretended to like things that I didn’t like and buried the things that I loved because I thought they were stupid, or foolish or childish, or uncool. And that is a terrible thing for anyone to do to themselves – to deny your own truth. I told myself that the endorsement or the approval of others was more important than what I wanted. As I’ve got older, I’ve indulged my mad whims and I’ve done it in a way that has suited me. When I started painting some people were like “Will we start with watercolours and lovely little canvases?” And I thought: No. I want ginormous canvases and I want to paint in oil. And that was what I did. I didn’t let somebody tell me what I couldn’t do and I enjoyed myself so much. It is far healthier to just be yourself and like what you like.

READ MORE

4 Romantically speaking, there’s no such thing as ‘the one’

I suppose I’m saying this for the youngs: “the one” does not exist. There is no such thing. Don’t be wasting your time. You meet somebody and he’s really nice or she’s really nice. And then you find out they have awful taste in music or socks. Don’t burn it all down just because of that. We’re all just flawed human beings staggering around in the fog doing our best. One day you could be the person with the bad socks or the dodgy earrings to somebody else, and you wouldn’t like to be dismissed entirely. The people we fall in love with are as incomplete as we are.

... and stay away from so-called bad boys

I say this as a card-carrying, award-winning bad-boy follower. We should just call them what they are, which is bad men. We wouldn’t ever be platonic friends with somebody who was cruel to us, who lied to us, who cheated on us, who was dishonest, who undermined us. We just wouldn’t. But throw sex into the mix? Oh, “but he’s so passionate”. It’s not passionate, it’s unhealthy. And, for me, I was so incomplete by myself that I was using kind of the adrenaline of those encounters as a substitute for actual connection. When he’d finally ring I’d get this rush ... it was like a phenomenal pain reliever. Be with somebody who’s your friend, who likes you, who wants to protect you, who’s on your side.

5 Comfort zones are comfortable for a reason

Telling people to push themselves out of their comfort zone should be categorised as hate speech. Do a bungee jump? No, do nothing of the f**king sort. Why would I do something that terrifies me? Anyone who wants to do these things, go out there and do it. Godspeed, enjoy yourself. But for me, I keep my world very small, because I like it very small. I do as little as possible that scares me. Getting out of bed in the morning is frightening enough. I talk about my beloved niece a lot. She’s 23 and she said to me recently that she stays in her lane. And I was like, I want to stay in the lane with you. The people who want to change lanes, nobody’s stopping you, but if you have a comfort zone, cherish it. It’s comfortable.

6 It’s possible to become free from addiction

I think we are all in pain and we are all finding ways to get through. I was trapped in alcoholic drinking. I thought there was no way I could ever stop. I couldn’t imagine a life beyond it. Alcohol was the centre of my life. It was the love of my life. I was prepared to go wherever it took me. I was willing to lose everything. I thought I couldn’t stop and then I thought what would be the point, everything would be so f**king boring. And it’s not, it’s really not boring. I am in my comfort zone, I admit it, but it’s not boring in here. One of the real privileges of being sober is seeing loads of other people get sober as well. It happens all the time. And it can happen for anyone. No addict is beyond getting well.

The people we fall in love with are as incomplete as we are’: Marian Keyes shares six life lessons on turning 60


When God closes one door, He slams another in your face.


Love is blind, there was no doubt about it. In Tara’s case it was also deaf, dumb, dyslexic, had a bad hip and the beginnings of Alzheimer’s.


 “I used to write in bed, starting when I woke up. I believe that creative work comes from our subconscious mind, so I try to keep the gap between sleep and writing as minimal as possible.


 “How to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.


Where does love go when it dies? Into flowers and other beautiful things? Back out into the universe to be recycled?


In an interview with Woman & Home, she offered some advice on finding inspiration for characters. She says: “Wherever you are where there are other people about, there’s plenty of inspiration for the characters in your novel. Look at those people, wonder about their lives. Have fun with it. Pay attention to lines of dialogue – what do they tell you about them? Look without judgement at their appearance. Do they have a fabulous pedicure? Do they light up when their children come near them? People give us clues all the time and all you have to do is be alert. All you need is one characteristic to begin to build a life around them.”

We were also lucky enough to meet her when she toured South Africa in 2007. Read our Interview with Marian Keyeswhere she tells writers that they should ‘Just do it.’

-Keyes to writing ✍️ 


Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963)